Thursday, February 7, 2013

A SHORT CHAT WITH OSTRICH VON NIPPLE

I'm not really into lists and stuff, but if anyone would ask me to name a couple of essential albums of 2012 Ostrich Von Nipple's "Plays Some Shitty Tunes" would certainly be among them.
Here's another short chat with O.


UniMuta : Dear O.,
Your latest release, "Ostrich Von Nipple Plays Some Shitty Tunes", sounds fascinating. I love the strange and peculiar sounds that you use. It's like looking at an alien world.
I have to admit that I am not familiar with the music of Shitty Bedford. He's also part of The Goons Of Waxing Gibbous, right? Can you tell me a bit about the link between Shitty Bedford's musical world and yours?

Ostrich Von Nipple : You are correct, Mr. Bedford is a core member of the (sometimes) band "The Goons of Waxing Gibbous".  However, my collaborations with him go back further than that.  Originally it was r0b0t, Bedford, and The Chief hanging around making some noise as "Greener than Lou".  I joined them for a show at a house party playing keyboards and turntables.  I also served as the "emcee" for this event, introducing every song to the audience as "Southern Fried Nipple".   This party also served as an origin for some of our current personas.  We all decided to come up with names for ourselves on the fly.  Thus, "Ostrich Von Nipple" was born.  Later r0b0t, Bedford and I started writing tunes in an unnamed ensemble.  Eventually we all teamed up and brought in other members to form "Sneaky-Dink and the Six Times Four is Twenty-Four's".  The group finally morphed into "The Goons of Waxing Gibbous".  One day after a rehearsal Bedford came up and told me he'd love to hear some OVN solo music.  It got me thinking and working.  That work eventually became my self-titled CD.  We continue to work together on projects to this day.

UniMuta : I tell everyone who's in to The Residents, that they should check out your music. The Residents' influence is obvious and the result is astonishing. What music do you listen to?

Ostrich Von Nipple : I'm usually working on new material and obsessively listening to rough mixes.  When I get an opportunity to hear other music, I prefer to listen to 1950's-1960's Disney soundtracks (from animated films), classical Hindustani Ragas, The Bee Gee's and Shitty Bedford (of course). 

UniMuta : I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that Nolan Cook contributed to the album. He has a very distinctive sound. One that fits perfectly to the music that you create.
How does this work when you write or arrange a piece? Do you know in advance how a piece should sound? Or what a guest musician should add?

Ostrich Von Nipple : It varies from song to song and artist to artist.  At times I have something specific in mind for Nolan.  Other times I simply ask him to "go for it".  He usually nails the piece in such an unexpected way.  On the rare occasion that I go back to him for changes they are usually minor changes.  I have complete trust that he will deliver something appropriate and exciting and it makes the process an easy one.  Most of the other guest artists are closer to me geographically.  Therefore, the general approach is to get together and work out an idea that one of us has been nurturing.

UniMuta : "OVN Plays Some Shitty Tunes" got released on the German Psychofon Records label. How did you get in contact with them?

Ostrich Von Nipple : Actually I was approached out of the blue by Psychofon.   Initially they contacted me to see about re-releasing older material (the first OVN CD).  At the time I was not interested in that.  However, I mentioned that I had just finished work on an EP of "cover" songs and asked if they would like to give it a listen.  Psychofon listened to the rough mixes and seemed to really enjoy the material.  It grew from there.  When I started the project I had no intentions of releasing it.  At most, it was meant to be gift for Bedford.  I find it interesting to see all the physical products created around something that was never really meant to be heard.

UniMuta : Your previous album got released by WMRecordings, this new one by Psychofon Records. Both are European labels. A coincidence?

Ostrich Von Nipple : That is a mere coincidence.  I am grateful to both labels for all their support and I love the open attitude Europe has towards underground music.  Psychofon has done an outstanding job with all of their OVN products.  I am thrilled that the EP has been handled artistically and with great care.

UniMuta : I was happy to see that "OVN Plays Some Shitty Tunes" got released on an old-fashioned CD. Is it important to you that it got a CD-release, or is the download-option more significant to you?

Ostrich Von Nipple : It was very important that if we were going to do an official release of this EP that it would be available on CD.  I still believe that the way a recording is packaged influences the musical experience.  I also prefer to buy actually CD's whenever possible.

UniMuta : Wise words. Thank you.

Ostrich Von Nipple's excellent album is available from Psychofon Records : 
http://www.psychofonrecords.com
An alternate version of 'Swarm & Punctuate' can be found on the bonus CD of the Dec/Jan issue of OX fanzine. More info soon.


1 comment: