Monday, December 4, 2017

FLAT EARTH SOCIETY - BOGGAMASTA

I saw Flat Earth Society in concert a little while ago. At 'De Roma' in Antwerp. It was one of the "Boggamasta" album-release-concerts.
I had seen them performing "Boggamasta" earlier this year (in Wilrijk if my memory serves me right) and for one reason or another, I wasn't convinced at the time. It was a fine concert, but I felt like I was missing something.
At 'De Roma', however, they had me on their rollercoaster from the first song on.
Maybe because I didn't (have to) use my earplugs ? Maybe because I heard it for the second time ? Maybe because the overall sound was better (and I could actually hear the rhythm secion) ?

"Boggamasta" is a project by David Bovée and Peter Vermeersch.
David Bovée played the guitar in the earlier FES-years but quit Flat Earth Society to tour the world with Think Of One.
And now he's back for a one-time project, "Boggamasta".
About half of the pieces were written by Peter Vermeersch. The other half by David Bovée, but all of the compositions mix Flat Earth Society's signature rhythms with world music elements.
Add some weird vocal effects and you get "Boggamasta".

The album sounds great. (Use headphones !! Dive into it !! )
Beautiful melodies, great rhythms...
Hints of a Zappa horn section, the Residents, Snakefinger, but also of Mulate Astatke.
This is modern jazz. Amazing.

Out on vinyl (with a selection of songs on the vinyl + a download code for the complete album),
and on CD.

http://fes.be/





No comments:

Post a Comment